John Rice is an experienced litigator who has tried numerous cases to verdict, including dozens of federal jury trials, and argued cases before federal appellate courts. His practice focuses on white-collar criminal defense, internal investigations and complex civil litigation.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Rice spent more than 15 years with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, most recently as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of California specializing in public corruption cases. In addition to his work in the Southern District of California, he served in the organized crime and terrorism section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, and served as branch chief for the Northern Mariana Islands. In 2005, Mr. Rice was a member of the trial team that obtained guilty verdicts against several elected public officials, including a San Diego city councilman and a former Las Vegas county commissioner.
Mr. Rice served a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Judith N. Keep, of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California from 1987 to 1988.
- Represented executive in Anti-Money Laundering/Bank Secrecy Act investigation.
- Represented accountant in tax and currency structuring investigation.
- Represented financial professional in insider trading matter including trial.
- Represented executive in insider trading and Foreign Corrupt Practices investigation.
- Represented individual in SEC enforcement investigation.
- Represented company in FINRA matter.
- Represented company in investigation involving the DOJ, FDA and Customs.
- Represented company in employee and contractual dispute and related arbitration.
- Represented family and estate in civil rights action.
- Represented individuals and class members in complex securities litigation.
- Conducted internal investigation involving allegations of theft of intellectual property and unfair competition.
Schedule Your Consultation with John Rice
- University of San Diego School of Law, Federal Criminal Law (2007 to present)
- Lecturer, various law enforcement and corporate governance seminars