In his labor and employment practice, HFM Partner Jason Ross represents employers of all sizes in a variety of employment law matters.
Mr. Ross’s work includes representing clients in single-plaintiff employee litigation of all varieties, wage and hour class actions, and Private Attorney General Act (“PAGA) representative actions. He represents clients in State and Federal Court, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings, as well as counseling clients on all issues related to employment law.
Mr. Ross has handled numerous complex business litigation disputes involving real estate, business dissolution, unfair competition, breach of contract, and trade secret claims. He has also represented clients in numerous successful appeals in the California Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Among his other regular successes, Mr. Ross worked to secure a reversal of a class certification decision on interlocutory appeal, resulting in the decertifying of a statewide class of more than 20,000 retail employees in an expansive wage-and-hour case. He also obtained a full defense judgment after trial of a PAGA representative action involving the wage-and-hour claims of 20,000-plus retail employees who had made nine-figure demands.
Recent representative successes
- Helped obtain favorable published decision establishing new law in military discrimination case (Haligowski v. Sup.Ct. (2011) 200 Cal.App.4th 983)
- Secured summary judgment in federal court on 14,000+ employee PAGA representative action for large national retailer after also defeating class certification as to 21,000+ employees
- Negotiated full, voluntary walk-away dismissal of putative nationwide wage-and-hour class action for retail client two months into federal case with minimal litigation cost to client
- Procured multi-million-dollar settlement as part of two-attorney team in a complex real property case against large national bank
- Won motion to strike class allegations for national healthcare organization in putative class action seeking seven-figure recovery and defended on appeal to California Court of Appeal (Carroll v. ALSC (Feb. 25, 2014) 2014 Cal. Unpub. LEXIS 1377)
- Settled employment matter in mid-five-figures at mediation following opening demand of over $1.5 million for a national employer, work that was recognized by the company’s general counsel as “some of the best legal work he’s seen in his 25+ years of practice”
- Obtained full summary judgment for retail client in federal consolidated case brought by former district manager alleging 17 claims, and negotiated walk-away settlement before appellate briefing
- Secured full, voluntary dismissal of case brought by former employee after four years of litigation in employment discrimination and retaliation case
- Obtained order dismissing case in its entirety on demurrer and motion to strike where companion case ultimately led to $12 million verdict against co-defendants
- Procured walk-away dismissal for large retail client in age discrimination, retaliation and harassment arbitration after Plaintiff’s deposition
Mr. Ross was repeatedly named a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” during his eligible years, a prestigious distinction awarded to no more than 2.5 percent of California lawyers. Earlier in his career, he was also honored as one of the San Diego Daily Transcript’s “Young Attorneys,”an award which recognizes the area’s most promising associates.
Mr. Ross graduated from Columbia University. After earning his law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law, he gained invaluable courtroom experience as a judicial extern to Justice Terry O’Rourke, California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division One, Judge Ronald S. Prager, San Diego County Superior Court and Judge Barry T. Moskowitz, United States District Court, Southern District of California. He often presents on employment matters at large statewide and national conferences.
- The Hair Game Podcast, Is Your Salon Legal? What You Need to Know About the ABC Rule with Salon Industry Attorney Jason Mr. Ross, January 2019
- Employee Complaint Management Strategies that Keep You Out of Court, ASCA National Conference, Boston MA, April 2018
- Intake and Investigation: Effectively Handling Employee Complaints, ASCA National Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2015
- Medical Leave, San Diego Employers Association Roundtable, October 2014
- Effective Employee Complaint Intake and Investigation, National Conference for ASD Management, Inc., Dana Point, CA, October 2014
- Accommodation & Leave, CASA Statewide Conference, San Diego, CA, September 2014
- Waging the Wage-and-Hour Battle: Preventing Costly Lawsuits, ASCA National Conference, Nashville, TN, May 2014
- California Employment Law and Credentialing: Maximize Your Knowledge, Minimize Your Risk, California Ambulatory Surgery Center Statewide Conference, La Quinta, CA, September 2013
- The Five Tenets of Highly Effective Employee Risk Management: Using Progressive Discipline to Avoid Employee Litigation, American Surgery Center Association National Conference, Boston, MA, April 2013