Mr. Ross is a partner at Higgs Fletcher & Mack. He has repeatedly been named a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star,” a prestigious distinction awarded to no more than 2.5 percent of California lawyers. He represents employers of all sizes, including Fortune 500 companies, in employment, class action, and business litigation in both federal and state courts throughout California, as well as arbitrations and administrative proceedings. This includes defense of single-plaintiff employment litigation of all varieties, as well as expansive wage-and-hour class actions and Private Attorney General Act (“PAGA”) representative actions.
He also regularly provides client counseling on a wide variety of employment issues outside of litigation. Mr. Ross’ representative employment clients include, Walmart, FedEx Office, Safway Services, Marriott International and others. He represents Walmart as the lead attorney on most single-plaintiff employment litigation in greater San Diego.
Mr. Ross prides himself on a business-oriented litigation perspective balancing effective case resolution with client cost. He pays detailed attention to efficient discovery and an effective motion practice, and has a notable track record of success on case-dispositive motions including summary judgment/adjudication and case-ending demurrers. Mr. Ross was awarded the San Diego Daily Transcript’s “Young Attorneys” award for 2011, which recognizes the area’s most promising associates. Mr. Ross was also nominated for this award six consecutive years.
In addition, Mr. Ross has extensive experience handling complex business disputes involving, amongst others, trade secrets, breach of contract, class action defense, unfair business practices, preference and fraudulent transfer matters in bankruptcy, intentional business torts, protecting customer lists, employees and proprietary business information, real estate and products liability claims.
His experience includes security reversal of class certification decision on interlocutory appeal, decertifying statewide class of more than 20,000 retail employees in wage-and-hour case. He has also obtained full defense judgment after trial of PAGA representative action involving wage-and-hour claims of 20,000+ retail employees where plaintiffs had made nine-figure demands.
Mr. Ross also has a history of representing physicians, hospitals, and outpatient surgery centers in malpractice, products liability, and personal injury litigation, and has also managed a number of administrative appeals for high school athletes challenging eligibility rulings by the California Interscholastic Federation (“C.I.F.”), including a successful appeal for a former All-State and San Diego County Player of the Year basketball player.
Mr. Ross graduated from Columbia University, where he earned Dean’s List honors, played varsity football, and served as associate sports editor for the Columbia Daily Spectator. Prior to law school, he worked in New York City as a litigation paralegal at Cravath, Swaine & Moore, LLP.
He received his J.D. from the University of San Diego, School of Law, where he was a San Diego Law Review member, earned his section’s Best Brief Award, and was named to the legal honors fraternity Phi Delta Phi. He also gained invaluable litigation experience as a judicial extern to:
- Justice Terry O’Rourke, California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division One;
- Judge Ronald S. Prager, San Diego County Superior Court; and
- Judge Barry T. Moskowitz, United States District Court, Southern District of California.
- Employee Complaint Management Strategies that Keep You Out of Court, ASCA National Conference, Boston MA April 2018.
- Intake and Investigation: Effectively Handling Employee Complaints, ASCA National Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2015.
- Medical Leave, San Diego Employers Association Roundtable, October 2014.
- Effective Employee Complaint Intake and Investigation, National Conference for ASD Management, Inc., Dana Point, CA, October 2014.
- Accommodation & Leave, CASA Statewide Conference, San Diego, CA, September 2014.
- Waging the Wage-and-Hour Battle: Preventing Costly Lawsuits, ASCA National Conference, Nashville, TN, May 2014.
- California Employment Law and Credentialing: Maximize Your Knowledge, Minimize Your Risk, California Ambulatory Surgery Center Statewide Conference, La Quinta, CA, September 2013.
- The Five Tenets of Highly Effective Employee Risk Management: Using Progressive Discipline to Avoid Employee Litigation, American Surgery Center Association National Conference, Boston, MA, April 2013.
In his spare time, Mr. Ross enjoys golfing, reading, sports, music, and spending time with friends and family.
San Diego Office
401 West A Street, Suite 2600, San Diego, CA 92101
Los Angeles Office
601 S. Figueroa Street, Suite 4050, Los Angeles CA 90017
Schedule Your Consultation with Jason Ross
Meet Jason Ross
My name is Jason Ross. I’m an employment lawyer here at the firm. I’ve been here for six or seven years. I do all types of employment lawsuits and related matters and consulting – from your wrongful termination up to your nation or statewide class action wage and hour issues. I would say clients come to me because they appreciate the honesty and integrity that I have in the approach. They appreciate the practical philosophy that I have in providing them advice. They want powerful advice and representation that’s result driven, but is cost-efficient. And we keep that in mind at all time.