John Rice, a former federal prosecutor, represents both individuals and corporations in a wide range of complex white collar matters, including SEC enforcement actions, anti-money laundering and bank secrecy act compliance matters, and foreign corrupt practices act investigations.
Mr. Rice is an experienced litigator who has tried numerous cases to verdict, including dozens of federal jury trials, and argued cases before federal appellate courts. His practice focuses on white-collar criminal defense, internal investigations and complex civil litigation.
Expertise – White-Collar Criminal Defense, Internal Investigations
20+ Years – Civil Litigation and Federal Criminal Law
Adjunct Professor – USD School of Law
Before entering private practice, Mr. Rice spent more than 15 years with the U.S. Department of Justice, most recently as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of California specializing in public corruption cases. In addition to his work in the Southern District of California, he served in the organized crime and terrorism section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, and served as branch chief for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern Mariana Islands. He has received numerous awards from various federal law enforcement organizations during his career.
Mr. Rice served a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Judith N. Keep, of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California from 1987 to 1988.
- Represented executive in Anti-Money Laundering/Bank Secrecy Act investigation which led to declination of charges
- Represented accountant in tax and currency structuring investigation
- Represented financial professional in insider trading matter including trial
- Represented doctors in Medicare and anti-kickback enforcement matters
- Represented numerous individuals in SEC enforcement investigations
- Represented company in FINRA matter
- Represented individual in OCC enforcement action
- Represented company in investigation involving the DOJ, FDA and Customs
- Represented individuals and class members in complex securities litigation
- Conducted internal investigation involving allegations of theft of intellectual property and unfair competition
- Represented individual in insider trading and foreign corrupt practices investigation
- Represented company in employee and contractual dispute and related arbitration
- Represented family and estate in civil rights action
- University of San Diego School of Law, Federal Criminal Law (2007 to present)
- Lecturer, various law enforcement and corporate governance seminars