Joy Homze has worked for a diverse range of clients, from public entities to sole practitioners, in a variety of practice areas, including business disputes, catastrophic injury, class action litigation, and professional liability defense, with a specific emphasis on the counseling and representation of attorneys and law firms. Joy has extensive experience guiding clients through all stages of litigation, continuously advocating on their behalf before judges, juries, arbitrators, mediators, and opposing counsel. Although Joy has been a litigator her entire career, she routinely advises clients on cost-effective alternatives to litigation and risk management strategies. In fact, many of Joy’s clients have been able to avoid litigation altogether after coming to her for creative and proactive solutions to a variety of highly contentious situations. Through careful attention to her clients’ needs and a genuine passion for the practice of law, Joy consistently achieves favorable results for her clients in complex litigated and non-litigated matters.
- Prevailed on motion for summary judgment in a legal malpractice action seeking seven figure damages from a prominent local law firm. After finding the plaintiffs’ evidence of a joint venture was insufficient to create an attorney-client relationship between the plaintiffs and the law firm, the court granted the firm’s motion and dismissed all claims and causes of action alleged against the firm.
- Defended San Diego law firm in highly contentious legal malpractice arbitration. After successfully excluding key witnesses from testifying during arbitration, negotiated a settlement for a fraction of the pre-arbitration settlement offer.
- Successfully prepared and argued demurrer and anti-SLAPP motion in business dispute involving claims of fraud and interference with contractual relations. Secured dismissal of entire action and entry of judgment, including an award of fees and costs, in favor of client.
- Defended a proposed class action lawsuit brought against an affiliate organization of a public university that resulted in the dismissal of all claims against the client.
- Obtained a judgment and award of fees and costs in favor of attorney clients in malicious prosecution action.
- Authored anti-SLAPP motion on behalf of national law firm client that resulted in the dismissal of all claims against the client, an award of fees and costs, and entry of judgment in favor of the client.
- Defended public entity client in tax payer representative action involving claims of self-dealing by a public employee. Secured the dismissal of all claims against the client by way of an anti-SLAPP motion.
- Assisted in the prosecution of a trade name infringement case that settled on terms highly favorable to the client, including payment of attorneys’ fees by the opposing party.
Schedule Your Consultation with Joy L. Homze