Mr. Madgett’s primary practice areas are Corporate and Securities, Commercial and Intellectual Property law, including corporate governance, business and commercial transactions, securities offerings, IP licensing, Internet and e-commerce law. He is also experienced in Financial Services, Real Estate and Construction and Construction law. With over 30 years of experience practicing law in San Diego, he is recognized as a consummate negotiator and advisor. He has received Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer rating (“AV Preeminent”) for Legal Ability and General-Ethical Standards and continues to be recognized by San Diego Magazine as a Top Lawyer® for Corporate and Securities matters.
Mr. Madgett has significant experience advising both public and private companies, from start-up and emerging growth companies to established middle market companies in a variety of industries. His clients include private offering fund managers, green energy and clean-tech companies, hardware and software developers, Tech and e-commerce companies, as well as traditional manufacturers, wholesale and retail distributors, franchisors and franchisees, contractors, developers, professional organizations and service establishments.
Mr. Madgett serves as outside general counsel to many of his clients, advising them on a wide variety of legal matters, including initial business organizational and structural issues, financing and capital formation, strategic alliances and joint ventures, licensing strategies, product development and distribution, mergers and acquisitions, and day-to-day business operational issues and agreements. His goal is to make the deal happen, not break it, but he will also advise his clients when it is time to move on.
Schedule Your Consultation with Mike Madgett
Representative Transactions Handled by Mr. Madgett include:
- Representation of company in $17 million buyout of majority shareholder.
- Representation of green energy company in monetization of ongoing royalty stream.
- Representation of acquiring company in acquisition of Danish based controls company.
- $40M recapitalization of energy company.
- Representation of clean-tech company in acquisition of public company.
- Representation of issuer in $12M med-tech fund offering.
- Representation of Italian-based SCUBA equipment manufacturer in connection with licensing and distribution matters.
- Representation of issuer in organization, financing and launch of real estate data aggregator.
- Representation of wellness company in strategic Alliance with MLM nutritional supplement company.
- Representation of Special Needs Trust Administrator in $50M acquisition by public company.
- Representation of 3D printing company in acquisition by competitor.
- Representation of distressed construction company in acquisition by National general contractor.
- Representation of national property management company in acquisition by publicly traded Canadian corporation in hospitality industry.
- Organization and financing of Korean-based nutritional supplement manufacturer and fitness company, including negotiation and structure of fulfillment and distribution agreements, product development and launch, manufacturing and related matters in Korea.
- Representation of Korean manufacturer of miniature GPS equipment in product development, licensing and securities matters.
- Representation of VC convertible note holders in foreclosure on patent portfolio and related assets, and reorganization of the operating entity.
- Representation of Korean lead developer in multi-party co-development agreement with major European automobile manufacturer for development, manufacture and distribution of onboard GPS/Internet device.
- Representation of National toy manufacturer and distributor in $48M acquisition of Canadian company.
- Representation of developer in $94M private offering and concurrent construction and mezzanine financing for hotel project.