Roland Achtel is a trust and estate attorney with extensive litigation experience.
In his practice, Mr. Achtel prioritizes establishing clear expectations with his clients and maintaining close contact with them throughout each case. Though his legal expertise is highly specialized – trust and probate litigation, trust and probate-related elder abuse, probate conservatorships, trust administration, and general probate matters – his cases are highly diverse. His typical clients include family members, beneficiaries, and trustees. In addition to working to achieve favorable results for his clients, it is also important to Mr. Achtel to deliver peace of mind.
Mr. Achtel joined HFM as a Partner in 2013, bringing a wealth of experience and expertise to the firm’s trusts and estates practice. He is a certified specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law, as designated by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. His accolades also include:
- “AV Preeminent” rating since 2012 by Martindale Hubbell™ – earning the highest possible rating for both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards as judged by his peers;
- “Top Attorney” in Estate Planning, Probate, and Trust by the San Diego Daily Transcript;
- Recognized by “Best Lawyers® in Southern California” 2020-2022, selected by peer recognition & professional achievement;
- “Top Lawyer” in San Diego from 2013 to 2022;
- San Diego Super Lawyer®, an honor limited to no more than five percent of attorneys within California;
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers, Top 1% from 2016-2022.
Mr. Achtel is passionate about giving back to his community, serving as a volunteer advocate for elder rights with San Diego Elder Law Advocacy, and previously serving on the Board of Trustees for the San Diego Law Library, the Board of Directors for the San Diego Justice Foundation, the Board of Directors for the Del Mar Chamber of Commerce, Chair of Legislative Affairs for the Del Mar Chamber of Commerce, and also serving as a volunteer mediator with the San Diego Municipal Court. In addition, he formerly served as a Court Appointed Attorney and Guardian ad Litem for the San Diego Superior Court, Probate Division. Mr. Achtel also formerly served on the Congregation Beth Am Board of Directors.
Currently, Mr. Achtel’s community service includes serving as a Judge Pro Tem for San Diego Superior Court, Probate Division, where he hears cases in probate court and handles mandatory settlement conferences.