Higgs Fletcher & Mack encourages and supports our lawyers who are active in the non profit community. The San Diego nonprofit organizations attorneys at Higgs Fletcher & Mack has experience representing a wide variety of nonprofit organizations, including scientific research organizations, social welfare organizations, professional societies, trade groups, workforce development organizations, educational institutions and related groups, religious organizations, business leagues, hospitals and related groups, chambers of commerce, social clubs, and organizations dedicated to animal welfare, environmental protection, human rights, arts and culture, and other tax exempt philanthropic causes.
Our group of experienced San Diego nonprofit organizations lawyers advises and assists clients concerning start up and entity selection, entity formation documents and filings, applications for tax exemption (federal and state), regulatory compliance, including compliance with Intermediate Sanctions rules and the California Nonprofit Integrity Act, fiscal sponsorship arrangements, compliance with applicable public support tests, charitable solicitations, endowments funds, the protection of assets, political activities, lobbying, unrelated business income, contracts, joint ventures with other nonprofit organizations and for-profit entities, mergers, and dissolutions.
Our San Diego nonprofit organizations lawyers practice includes counseling directors, officers, and other management personnel concerning their fiduciary duties and compliance with state and federal rules and regulations regarding self-dealing transactions. The Firm represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, California Franchise Tax Board, and State Attorney’s General.
Our San Diego nonprofit organizations attorneys provide advice to both private foundations and public charities regarding donor-advised funds, foreign grant making, and program related investments. Attorneys in the practice groups have experience representing organizations with tax-exempt bond financing, and have served as borrower’s counsel in transactions ranging from $12 million to $38 million.
Attorneys in this practice group are active in the nonprofit community. They present seminars and speeches concerning issues affecting the nonprofit community, contribute to legal scholarship regarding the sector, and serve on boards of directors and in other volunteer capacities.
Examples of previous transactions and services for non-profit organizations that attorneys at Higgs Fletcher & Mack have handled include:
- Represent Borrower regarding $25 million tax-exempt bond financing for construction and improvement of school-related facilities
- Negotiate and prepare vaccine development agreement between domestic research entity and foreign joint venture partner
- Dissolve social welfare organization with $15 million in annual contracts, including the transfer of contracts to successful service providers
- Represent borrower regarding replacement of Letter of Credit supporting tax-exempt bond issuance
- Represent tenant regarding leasing of 11,500 sq. ft. of wet space in high tech industrial park in San Diego, California
- Represent Borrower regarding $38 million tax-exempt bond financing
- Represent Borrowers in new market tax credit loan transactions
- Assist nonprofit organization with purchase of commercial building for health clinic operations
- Represent nonprofit organization regarding creation of $30 million endowment fund and transfer of real property assets
- Advise entities regarding creation of endowment funds and receipt of restricted gifts
If you need legal representation for your San Diego non-profit entity , contact the experienced and dedicated attorneys at Higgs Fletcher & Mack today.